|Previous episode||Next episode|
|"Shadow: The Black Jaguar"||"Rainforest Stew"|
In this episode, a hummingbird appears in front of the Kratt brothers, Aviva, and Koki. The Kratt brothers get Aviva to make Hummingbird Power Discs, but in order to activate their Creature Power Suits, they need to touch the hummingbird, which is more difficult than they think. Then the team finds out that Chef Gourmand is planning to make a chocolate-covered energy snack out of hummingbird eggs.
The episode begins with a live-action segment. The Kratt brothers are hiking in the rainforests of Central America. They stop to look at colorful flowers, and then, a Rufous-tailed hummingbird hovers around and inserts its beak into one of the flowers. Afterward, they ask their "What if?" question, and the show transitions into the cartoon segment.
The Kratt brothers zip-line from the Central American rainforest canopy down to the Tortuga HQ, where the other Wild Kratts members are sleeping. Martin plays "Wild Kratts Theme Song" on the flugelhorn to wake them up. Aviva and Koki then wake up, and Koki shuts Martin up by shoving a sock up the flugelhorn. The two are mad that they have been woken up, that is until a green-breasted mango hummingbird hovers around them. Their attention turns to the hummingbird's flight capabilities, and they analyze its movements. Martin names the hummingbird Spaceship. The Kratt brothers want to obtain Hummingbird Powers, but in order to do that, they need to touch a hummingbird. The Kratt brothers jump out the Tortuga and run across the forest floor, following Spaceship. Meanwhile, Chef Gourmand is cleaning his airplane restaurant, when he sees a hummingbird fly by. He follows the hummingbird after it flies away from his grasp.
After three failed attempts to touch a hummingbird, the Kratt brothers realize that chasing is not a good idea, so decide that an even better way to touch a hummingbird is to wait and ambush (like a hummingbird predator). They ask Aviva to make Eyelash Viper Powers. Martin explains to them that ambushing is a great idea because hummingbirds need to constantly drink nectar from flowers like heliconia. Koki scans the area for heliconia, but they also detect Gourmand. Aviva dispatches a Flycam, and Jimmy, who then wakes up, flies it. He ends up finding Gourmand singing about collecting hummingbird eggs (he eventually does get his hands on some).
Aviva finishes Eyelash Viper Discs, and Jimmy teleports them. The Kratt brothers activate their Creature Power Suits. Spaceship arrives at the heliconia flower the Kratt brothers are hiding in. They activate their Creature Power Suits while Spaceship begins to insert his beak into the flowers, finally touching a hummingbird. They head to Gourmand's plane, where they catch him preparing a chocolate sauce to dip the eggs in. Gourmand tries hitting them with a spatula, but quickly gets exhausted. The Kratt brothers, needing to refuel, do so at a nearby heliconia flower. Knowing that they are almost out of energy, Gourmand gets out his dough canon and fires dough balls, which make no difference until he hits the heliconia flower. The Kratt brothers instead head to a different sugary source – Gourmand's chocolate sauce. After they retrieve the eggs and send Gourmand flying off by activating his plane's autopilot, they bring the eggs back to the nest, which immediately hatch.
The show transitions into the concluding live action segment. The Kratt brothers set up a hummingbird feeder. Soon after, several species of hummingbirds arrive. Afterward, they conclude the episode by saying "Keep on creature adventuring; we'll see you on the creature trail!"
Note: Featured animals are in bold.
- Green-breasted Mango: Spaceship
- Geoffroy's Spider Monkey (called spider monkey): Grabsy
- Brown-throated Sloth: Chillax
- Jaguar: Shadow
- Harpy Eagle
- Eyelash Viper
Note: Live action animals are linked to Wikipedia.
- Rufous-tailed hummingbird
- Wedge-tailed sabrewing (called sabrewing)
- White-necked jacobin
- Long-billed hermit
- White-belied emerald
- Violet sabrewing
- It is revealed by himself that Chris's favorite theme song is the Wild Kratts theme song.
- Martin breaks the fourth wall by playing the Wild Kratts theme song.
- This episode contains a scene where the brothers fall from the trees and lose most of their clothes before tiptoeing back to the Tortuga behind large leaves. While a first for the series, this isn’t the first instance of nudity within a Kratt Brothers production, with Zoboomafoo being one of the few.
Key Facts and Creature Moments
- The hummingbird can hover, fly backward, forwards, up, down, and upside down because its wing moves very quickly in a figure-eight pattern, which keeps the hummingbird hovering and also increases its maneuverability.
- Due to its fast-moving wings, hummingbirds have a high metabolism, and need to constantly sip nectar.
- Hummingbirds are the second largest family of birds in the world.