|Previous episode||Next episode|
|"Bad Hair Day"||"Creature Power Challenge"|
"Race for the Hippo Disc" is the second episode of Season 2 of Wild Kratts, originally airing on PBS Kids on October 16, 2012. Overall, it is the 42nd episode of the series. The episode was written and directed by Chris Kratt.
In this episode, while the Kratt brothers are trading Creature Power Discs, one of the discs — the Hippo Disc, falls out of the Tortuga and into a river with hippopotami. Zach Varmitech finds out and plots to retrieve the disc before the Wild Kratts can so that he can learn the secrets of the Creature Power Suit.
The episode begins with a live action segment, in which the Kratt brothers talk about the territoriality and aggressiveness of African animals. One of these is the hippo, which actively protect their territorial waters. Afterwards, they ask their "What if?" question and the show transitions into the cartoon segment.
The Kratt brothers are trading Creature Power Discs as the Tortuga flies over the African savanna. At first, no trades are made, until Chris trades a Hippo Disc for Martin's Platypus Disc. But Martin thinks that Chris stole one of his other discs, and they begin fighting over his disc holder. This causes the Hippo Disc to roll and eventually fall out the Tortuga. To get the disc, Chris activates his Peregrine Falcon Creature Power Suit. He grabs the disc with his talons, but crashes into a ledge, and the disc falls towards a river with hippos in it, and into Zach Varmitech's hands. A hippo then bites Zach's boat, splitting it in half, and the disc drops into the river. Chris saves Zach before he gets bitten in half by the hippo. He leaves Zach alone after he thanked them for the rescue, but Zach then plots to get his hands on the Hippo Disc before the Wild Kratts do so that he can lean the secrets of the Creature Power Suit.
The Wild Kratts begin their search for the disc. While Chris watches the bull hippo guarding the boundaries of its river, Aviva and Martin search for the disc in the water in the Hippo Sub. As they continue through the water, Martin names one of the young hippos Hipster Opotamus, who finds the Hippo Disc. Martin tries grabbing the disc, but the bull hippo has entered the water and is taking on another hippo. The fight damages the Hippo Sub, so Aviva and Martin retreat. Zach, knowing the location of the disc, takes the disc with the help of one of his Zachbots.
Nightfall approaches, and the hippos exit the river. As Zach attempts to bypass the Hippo Disc's security, a hippo chases him and flips him up a tree. Hipster takes the disc and drops it in front of the Kratt brothers and Aviva. Before that, however, lions chase the hippos back to the river. They pass Zach and fling him up into the sky, and he lands on Martin. Martin is able to hold onto the Hippo Disc, but he loses his disc holder (containing several Creature Power Discs) to Zach, who heads back to his jet on a Zachbot. To retrieve the discs, Martin activates his Hippo Creature Power Suit. He and Chris knock Zach off his Zachbot and grab the disc holder. Zach sends his Zachbots to take the disc holder away from the Kratt brothers, but Martin is able to break past the charging Zachbots and make it back to the Tortuga. To convince the Wild Kratts to give up the disc holder, one of Zach's Zachbots holds Hipster hostage. Chris willingly trades him his disc holder. Zach grabs it, drops Hipster, and leaves in his jet, but when he opens it, he only finds Jimmy Z's cookies. Afterwards, Jimmy hands everybody cookies, and the Wild Kratts summarize their adventure.
The show transitions into the ending live action segment, which shows the Kratt brothers getting a little closer to the hippos. Afterwards, they conclude the episode by saying "Keep on creature adventuring; we'll see you on the creature trail!"
Note: Featured animals are in bold.
- Hippopotamus: Tusker, Hipster Opotamus, Mama Opotamus
- Nile Crocodile (called Crocodile)
- Peregrine Falcon
- American Bullfrog
- Nubian Giraffe (called Giraffe)
- Grant's Zebra (called Zebra)
Live Action Images
Note: Live action animals are linked to Wikipedia.
Note: Live action animals are linked to Wikipedia.
- African leopard (called Leopard)
- Common ostrich
- Kori bustard
- Bat-eared fox
- Spotted hyena
- Helmeted guineafowl
- Blue wildebeest (called Wildebeest)
- African wild dog
- At the start of the episode, a bunch of Creature Power Discs can be seen from past adventures.
- "Race for the Hippo Disc" is the 3rd appearance of the Hippo Sub.
- It's revealed that the Creature Power Disks use a Gyrotonic chip to control transformation data.
- The scene where the Kratt brothers trade their Creature Power Discs is similar to the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
- Chris was right when he said that Martin's Creature Power Disc was in the pile.
- Zach talks about the flaw in the hippo disc that he found in Creature Power Challenge and he uses it throughout that episode. In fact, this episode is a prequel to the following episode, Creature Power Challenge.
- The bullfrog that jumps into the river when Zach passes by in his boat is an American bullfrog.
Key Facts and Creature Moments
- "Wild Kratts - Race for the Hippo Disc." KET. Kentucky Educational Television. Retrieved January 12, 2015.