|Previous episode||Next episode|
"Mimic" is the 25th episode of Season 1 of Wild Kratts, originally airing on PBS Kids on October 8, 2011. The episode was written and directed by Martin Kratt. On March 20, 2012, "Mimic" was first released on DVD as part of Wild Kratts: Predator Power.
In this episode, the Kratt brothers meet Blur, a cheetah they met in a previous adventure. They also find out that Blur has a cub. But when fashion designer Donita Donata and her henchman, Dabio, net Blur, Martin watches over the cub, while Chris rescues Blur from Donita.
The episode begins with a live action segment. After deciding which of two similar-looking snakes to pick up: a "harmless one" and a "venomous one", Martin successfully picks up the gray-banded kingsnake – the harmless one, after he and his brother analyze the two snakes' features. Afterwards, they ask their "What if?" question and the show transitions into the cartoon segment.
Chris is running through the African savanna, trying to avoid getting caught by Martin, but Martin quickly finds him. Then, a fly lands on Martin's finger and the two find out that the fly is mimicking a bee. They decide to find another mimic, which ends up coming from the cub of a cheetah they met in another adventure – Blur. Blur had to hide her cub after noticing a lion in the distance. After deterring away the lion, Blur begins hunting a gazelle, which she fails to catch, and ends up exhausted, allowing fashion designer Donita Donata and her henchman Dabio to net her. Chris goes after Donita and Dabio, while Martin protects the cheetah cub. Martin starts playing with the cheetah cub. Aviva, on the other hand, finishes a Cheetah Disc, which Jimmy teleports to Martin. Martin then activates his Creature Power Suit, and while the spots swerve around him, the cheetah cub start swatting them, leading him to name it Spot Swat.
While watching from a tent in Donita's camp, Donita places Blur in suspended animation. She is not impressed with the look of the cheetah on Dabio's shoulders, until she realizes that a cheetah cub would make a great addition as a hat. Donita notices Chris afterwards, and plots to trick him into finding the cheetah cub for her.
As Martin tries seeing with his vision, a honey badger rests near him. Spot Swat rests near the honey badger, and Martin finds out the black and white markings cheetah cubs have are used to mimic the black and white fur of honey badgers. After taking Blur and the suspended animation controller, Chris heads off to return Blur to the cheetah cub, while Donita and Dabio follow behind. When Chris arrives, he finds out that the controller is a fake. Donita and Dabio arrive at that moment, and they grab Blur. When choosing which animal to pick up, Martin convinces them to take the honey badger. Donita and Dabio do not notice until they head into their car. Once they back up, they realize they took a honey badger and they start screaming when it messes with them. Later, the Kratt brothers release Blur from her suspended state.
The show transitions into the ending live action segment. In a field containing butterflies, Martin explains mimicry with a monarch butterfly and a viceroy butterfly. The Kratt brothers then explain the purpose and duration of black and white markings on cheetah cubs. The two conclude the episode by saying "Keep on creature adventuring; we'll see you on the creature trail!"
- Chris Kratt
- Martin Kratt
- Jimmy Z
- Donita Donata
- Zach Varmitech (replay image on Creature Pod)
Note: Featured animals are in bold.
- Cheetah: Blur, Spot Swat
- Honey Badger
- Helmeted Guineafowl
- Band-eyed Drone Fly (called Fly)
- Western Honey Bee (called Bee)
- Thomson's Gazelle (called Gazelle)
- African Bush Elephant (called Elephant)
- Grant's Zebra (called Zebra)
- Spotted Hyena
- Nubian Giraffe (called Giraffe)
- Black Rhinoceros (called Rhino)
- Black Mamba
Note: live action and mentioned animals are linked to Wikipedia.
- Gray-banded kingsnake
- Broad-banded copperhead
- Viceroy butterfly
- Monarch butterfly
- Common buckeye
- Bumblebee (called Bee)
- Hoverfly (called Fly)
- The ecological topics shown in the cartoon segment are mimicry and animal-based material exploited for clothing.
- This is the second episode where Donita and Dabio are in the African savannah.
- This is the last appearance of Donita's car.
- Martin breaks the fourth wall by talking towards the screen while babysitting Spot Swat.
- This is the first episode where a named animal makes a reappearance.
Key Facts and Creature Moments
- Some fly species mimic the appearance of bees.
- A cheetah cub can mimic the appearance of honey badgers.
- Cheetahs can run for 545 yards or 45 seconds before they're tired.
- Black mambas are known for the black tongue, giving them their name.
- They're also the only snake that can reach high enough to sink the fangs into a face.