"Creature Power Challenge" is the third episode of Season 2 of Wild Kratts, originally airing on PBS Kids on October 17, 2012. Overall, it is the 43rd episode of the series. The episode was written and directed by Martin Kratt.
In this episode, the Kratt brothers challenge each other in contests involving Creature Powers of African animals. However, Zach Varmitech sends miniature robots called Disrupt-o-bots to annoy the Kratt brothers by transforming them into animals not suited for life in the African savanna. He also uses his Disrupt-o-bots to hijack the Tortuga to prevent the other Wild Kratts members from helping the Kratt brothers.
The episode begins with a live action segment. The Kratt brothers watch over orphaned elephant calves such as Naipoki and Sities at the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage. Afterwards, they ask their "What if?" question and the show transitions into the cartoon segment.
The Kratt brothers are cross-country in-lining across the African savanna, when they have to stop because they are sweltering. They try to cool off in a mud wallow, but an elephant and a rhino start fighting for it. Their attention then shifts to the fight, and Martin tells Chris that the elephant is more powerful, but Chris disagrees and says that the rhino is more powerful. Suddenly, a giant egg beater from Zach Varmitech's jet sweeps away all of the mud. Although Zach intended to make sure that they have no mud to cool off in, the rhino and elephant find their own mud wallows, and the Kratt brothers got splashed and cooled by the mud. Disappointed, Zach continues spying on them.
The Kratt brothers do not forget their argument, and they take out their Creature Power Discs. They decide to start with a strength contest. Martin activates his Elephant Creature Power Suit, and Chris activates his Rhino Creature Power Suit. Zach then gets the idea to annoy the Kratt brothers by sending out miniature robots called Disrupt-o-bots. While the Kratt brothers fight, Disrupt-o-bots enter both of their discs. Zach activates the Disrupt-o-bots, and Martin transforms into a basilisk lizard and Chris transforms into an acorn and falls in Martin's hands. An elephant chases them. Martin has trouble running away from the elephant, and eventually he trips and Chris falls to the ground. The elephant tries to eat Chris, but Martin deactivates him in time. Afterwards, Martin calls Aviva to tell her about an issue with the Suits, but Zach finds out, and he sends a Disrupt-o-bot to the Tortuga.
The Kratt brothers decide to have another challenge, this time a speed race. Aviva calls and says she will meet them to try to fix the problem with their Suits. At this point, the Disrupt-o-bot enters the Tortuga and takes control of it. Zach appears on the main monitor and tells the Tortuga crew that they are all trapped and that they have no way of communicating with the Kratt brothers. Zach then tells them how he is using his Disrput-o-bots to control the Creature Power Suits and the Tortuga. Since Aviva has not arrived, Martin activates Cheetah Powers and Chris activates Peregrine Falcon Powers and race to the Tortuga – the finish line. Zach activates his bots again, and Chris becomes a bass and Martin becomes a walrus. Unable to move, vultures peck at them. Martin saves Chris by squashing and deactivating him. Chris also deactivates Martin's Suit.
To take out the Disrupt-o-bot, Aviva tells Koki and Jimmy to distract Zach. As they do so, she miniaturizes a Flycam that removes the Disrupt-o-bot from inside the Tortuga. Afterwards, the three head out to warn the Kratt brothers. The Kratt brothers, meanwhile, decide to start a swimming contest. Chris activates Hippo Powers and Martin activates Crocodile Powers. The Disrupt-o-bots turn Martin into a tarsier and Chris into a butterfly. Crocodile hatchlings are about to eat them, when Koki and Jimmy return them to normal size with the Miniaturizer. Aviva removes the Disrupt-o-bots, which are then eaten by the crocodiles. After Zach admitted defeat (though he still thinks that he is superior than them, which is really false), the Kratt brothers continue their Creature Power challenges.
The show transitions into the concluding live action segment. The Kratt brothers watch over a rhino calf. Afterwards, they conclude the episode by saying "Keep on creature adventuring; we'll see you on the creature trail!"
Note: Featured animals are in bold.
- Nile Crocodile: Frederica, Crunchella, Snappifer
- Black Rhinoceros (called Rhino)
- African Bush Elephant
- Peregrine Falcon
- Nubian Giraffe
Note: Mentioned animals are linked to Wikipedia.
- Three-wattled bellbird (mentioned as Wattled bellbird)
- Rabbit (called Bunny)
- Flying fish
- This episode holds the record for the most Creature Power Suits used, but the half is caused by malfunctions.
- Chris and Martin suck at lip reading.
- Zach recalled the time he stole the Hippo Power Disk in "Race for the Hippo Disc". It was there that the Creature Power Suits were revealed to have had an initial design flaw, which Zach exploits throughout the episode.
- The Tortuga is also hackable.
- When Chris' Falcon Power switched to Bass Power due to the Disrupt-o-bots, Aardvark, Caracal, and Elephant Powers can be seen on the disc.
- This episode marks the third time Zach has attempted to kill the brothers; the first time was in "Polar Bears Don't Dance", the second was in "Mystery of the Weird Looking Walrus".
- This marks the first time Chris is seen in Acorn power.
- The live action segments takes place at the Sheldrick Wildlife Trust in Kenya. The Kratt brothers previously visited there in a few episodes of their 1st TV series Kratts' Creatures.
Key facts and Creature Moments
- Some animals have abilities that are suited for a specific environment.